dyptich" (masking tape and print) by Combs shows the site of the
original Old Mission. He was nineteen years old and trying out this "three-legged
biographer," as he called it. The handwriting in the lower right
is his own.
The mission was established in 1776 by Juan Baptista de Anza and
Fray Junipero Serra. It was destroyed twicein 1800 and 1806. In
the last rebellion, the stones that built the walls of the building were
tossed into the creek beds and ravines. The pile of rocks on the left
in the photograph is an outcropping used in building the mission the first
and second times. What is left of the mssion has washed down the
canyons in the last two centuries. No outsiders are allowed on the land
as it remains in Fornay hands.
In the 1940s Barclay Combs and Associates, working with architectural
historians, worked up a few illustrations imagining the original mission.
Click HERE to see one of their renderings.
of Barclay Combs
Copyright © 2002, El
Fornio Historical Society